Of course, I’d be happy to provide some tips and ideas for visiting San Diego with a baby and a toddler. San Diego is a wonderful destination with plenty of family-friendly activities and attractions. Here’s a guide to help you make the most of your trip:
Places to Take Kids in and around San Diego
1. Choose Family-Friendly Accommodation
When selecting family-friendly accommodation for your trip, several factors must be considered to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay for you and your children. Here’s a guide to help you choose the right place to stay:
1. Location: Look for accommodation that is conveniently located near the attractions and activities you plan to visit with your family. Consider proximity to family-friendly beaches, parks, and other attractions.
2. Amenities: Check for amenities that cater to families, such as cribs, high chairs, baby-proofing features, and children’s play areas. A swimming pool can also be a great way for kids to unwind after a day of exploration.
3. Room Configuration: Family suites or connecting rooms are ideal for accommodating everyone comfortably. Having separate sleeping areas for adults and children can make bedtime routines easier.
4. Kitchenette or Kitchen: Access to a kitchenette or full kitchen can be a game-changer for families with young children. You can prepare meals, store snacks, and warm up baby food.
5. Laundry Facilities: Kids can wear a lot of clothing, especially during outdoor activities. Having access to laundry facilities can be incredibly convenient.
6. Playgrounds and Recreational Areas: If your accommodation has outdoor spaces or playgrounds, it’s a bonus for kids to burn off energy.
7. Safety: Prioritize safety features, such as window locks, outlet covers, and balcony gates, to ensure a secure environment for your children.
8. Entertainment Options: Some hotels offer in-room entertainment, kids’ clubs, or family-friendly movies, which can be a nice way to wind down.
9. Reviews and Recommendations: Read reviews from other families to understand their experiences and how well the accommodation met their needs.
10. Budget: While finding a family-friendly place is important, consider your budget. Look for accommodations that offer a good balance between amenities and affordability.
11. Booking in Advance: Family-friendly accommodations can fill quickly, especially during peak travel times. Booking well in advance can help secure your preferred option.
Remember that each family’s needs and preferences may vary, so take the time to research and find an accommodation that aligns with your family’s specific requirements. Whether you choose a hotel, resort, vacation rental, or other lodging option, the goal is to create a comfortable and enjoyable home base for your San Diego adventure with your baby and toddler.
San Diego with a Baby and a Toddler
2. Balboa Park: San Diego’s Cultural Oasis
Balboa Park, located in the heart of San Diego, is a vibrant and sprawling urban park offering diverse attractions and activities for visitors of all ages. It’s often referred to as the “crown jewel” of San Diego’s park system, and for good reason. Here’s a glimpse into what Balboa Park has to offer:
1. Museums and Cultural Institutions: Balboa Park is home to a cluster of top-notch museums, each offering a unique perspective on art, science, history, and culture. Some of the must-visit museums include:
- San Diego Museum of Art: Featuring a rich collection of European, Asian, and American art.
- San Diego Natural History Museum: Explore exhibits on natural history, including dinosaurs and regional ecosystems.
- Fleet Science Center: An interactive science centre with hands-on exhibits and an IMAX theatre.
- Mingei International Museum: Showcasing folk art, crafts, and design worldwide.
2. The San Diego Zoo: While not officially part of Balboa Park, the San Diego Zoo is located adjacent to it and is a world-renowned attraction that’s easily accessible. The zoo is home to many animals from all over the globe, and it offers a memorable experience for visitors of all ages.
3. Gorgeous Gardens: Balboa Park boasts lush, beautifully landscaped gardens perfect for strolls or picnics. Some notable gardens include the Japanese Friendship Garden, the Desert Garden, the Botanical Building, and Lily Pond.
4. Spanish Village Art Center: This charming village within the park is home to local artists’ studios and galleries. It’s a wonderful place to browse and purchase unique art pieces.
5. Outdoor Spaces and Playgrounds: There are ample green spaces, playgrounds, and open areas for families to enjoy. These spaces are great for kids to run around and play.
6. Live Performances: Balboa Park often hosts live performances, ranging from outdoor concerts to theatrical productions. Check the schedule to see any family-friendly performances during your visit.
7. Events and Festivals: Throughout the year, Balboa Park hosts various events and festivals that cater to different interests, including family-friendly events with activities for children.
8. Food and Dining: The park offers dining options, including cafes and restaurants, where you can enjoy a meal or grab a snack. Alternatively, you can bring a picnic and relax in one of the park’s many scenic spots.
9. Accessibility: Balboa Park is committed to accessibility, making it easy for families with strollers or mobility devices to explore and enjoy the park.
10. Visitor Centers: Make sure to stop by one of the visitor centres to pick up maps, learn about current exhibitions and events, and get assistance with planning your visit.
Balboa Park’s diverse attractions and picturesque setting make it a fantastic destination for families with children. Whether you’re interested in art, science, nature, or simply enjoying the outdoors, Balboa Park has something to offer for everyone in your family.
3. San Diego Beaches with a Baby and a Toddler
Here’s a guide to help you enjoy San Diego’s beaches with your baby and toddler:
1. La Jolla Shores Beach: This family-friendly beach offers gentle waves and a wide sandy shore, perfect for building sandcastles and playing. The shallow waters near the shore allow toddlers to splash around safely. There are also nearby grassy areas for picnics.
2. Coronado Beach: Coronado’s wide stretch of sandy beach is excellent for family outings. The calm waves and tide pools provide a safe environment for kids. The iconic Hotel del Coronado is a beautiful backdrop, and there’s a playground nearby.
3. Moonlight State Beach: This Encinitas beach features a playground, picnic areas, and restrooms, making it a convenient spot for families. The beach has manageable waves and tide pools that intrigue your little ones.
4. Cardiff State Beach: Located near Encinitas, it is known for its tide pools and mellow waves. It’s a great place for kids to explore the marine life in the pools and play in the sand.
5. Mission Beach: Mission Beach offers a lively atmosphere with a boardwalk, restaurants, and shops. The wide sandy beach is perfect for building sandcastles and flying kites. Just be mindful of the crowds during peak times.
6. Pacific Beach: Adjacent to Mission Beach, Pacific Beach also has a family-friendly atmosphere. The calm waters and sandy beaches are great for children. The Crystal Pier area is particularly picturesque.
7. Children’s Pool Beach (La Jolla Cove): While swimming might be restricted due to the seal colony, this beach is still worth a visit for its unique wildlife viewing. Your kids can watch seals and sea lions from a safe distance, providing an educational experience.
8. Silver Strand State Beach: This beach offers a quieter atmosphere and calm waters, making it ideal for families. The Silver Strand Bikeway is perfect for stroller walks or bike rides.
9. South Carlsbad State Beach: With beautiful ocean views and a sandy shore, this beach is great for picnics and leisurely walks. The campground nearby is convenient if you’re considering camping.
10. Oceanside Beach: Oceanside Beach features a playground, picnic tables, and a pier. It’s a pleasant spot for families to relax and enjoy the ocean breeze.
Remember to bring sunscreen, hats, extra clothing, snacks, and plenty of water for you and your little ones. It’s also good to check the local weather and tide conditions before heading to the beach. Enjoy your time at San Diego’s beautiful beaches with your baby and toddler!
4. LEGOLAND California Resort: Where Creativity and Fun Collide
LEGOLAND California Resort is a whimsical and imaginative theme park located in Carlsbad, just north of San Diego. It’s a paradise for families with children, especially those who are fans of LEGO bricks and creative play. Here’s a glimpse into the enchanting world of LEGOLAND:
1. LEGO-Themed Attractions: From thrilling rides to interactive play zones, LEGOLAND offers many attractions that cater to kids of all ages. The park is divided into themed areas, each with unique LEGO-inspired experiences.
2. Miniland USA: One of the highlights of LEGOLAND is Miniland USA, where you can explore intricate and detailed LEGO replicas of famous landmarks from across the United States. It’s a feast for the eyes and a great way for kids to learn while having fun.
3. LEGO Ninjago World: Experience the world of LEGO Ninjago, where kids can train to become ninjas, embark on an action-packed ride, and engage in interactive adventures.
4. DUPLO Playtown: Perfect for younger children, DUPLO Playtown offers larger-than-life LEGO DUPLO blocks for building, playhouses, and even a mini train ride.
5. Water Park (seasonal): LEGOLAND also features a water park that provides a refreshing escape on hot days. Water slides, splash pads, and a lazy river add excitement to your visit.
6. Shows and Entertainment: Live shows, 4D movies, and character meet-and-greets are all part of the LEGOLAND experience, bringing beloved LEGO characters to life.
7. Creative Play and Building: Throughout the park, there are designated areas where kids can engage in creative building with LEGO bricks. It’s a fantastic opportunity for hands-on play and imagination.
8. Dining and Snacks: LEGOLAND offers a variety of dining options, including kid-friendly meals and healthy choices. You can find everything from pizza to sandwiches, as well as treats like LEGO-shaped snacks.
9. Shopping: Don’t miss the chance to browse the LEGO-themed shops for exclusive sets, merchandise, and souvenirs to commemorate your visit.
10. Accessibility and Family Services: LEGOLAND is designed with families in mind, and it offers amenities like stroller rentals, nursing rooms, and other services to ensure a comfortable experience for families with young children.
Before your visit, be sure to check the park’s official website for information about operating hours, ticket prices, and any special events that may be taking place during your stay. LEGOLAND California Resort promises a world of creativity, adventure, and endless fun for your entire family.
5. SeaWorld San Diego: A Marine Wonderland for All Ages
Situated along the picturesque shores of Mission Bay, SeaWorld San Diego offers an immersive and captivating marine experience that’s perfect for families seeking both entertainment and education. Dive into the world of aquatic wonders with the following highlights:
1. Marine Animal Encounters: SeaWorld is renowned for its diverse marine life exhibits, providing an up-close look at creatures from the ocean’s depths. From majestic dolphins and playful sea lions to graceful penguins and awe-inspiring sharks, the park offers a chance to connect with marine animals like never before.
2. Thrilling Shows: Prepare to be amazed by captivating live shows that showcase the remarkable talents of marine animals. Witness dolphins leaping in breathtaking aerial displays and killer whales performing aquatic acrobatics that will leave you in awe.
3. Interactive Experiences: SeaWorld offers various interactive opportunities for visitors to engage with marine life. Feed dolphins, touch rays, and participate in educational programs that promote conservation and understanding of the ocean’s delicate ecosystem.
4. Rides and Attractions: For those seeking excitement, SeaWorld boasts a mix of family-friendly rides and attractions. Embark on thrilling roller coasters, take a spin on aquatic-themed rides, and enjoy playful water-based amusements that cater to all age groups.
5. Conservation Education: Beyond entertainment, SeaWorld strongly emphasises marine conservation and environmental stewardship. Learn about ongoing efforts to protect marine habitats and species, inspiring a sense of responsibility and care for the world’s oceans.
6. Dining Delights: From quick bites to sit-down meals, SeaWorld offers a variety of dining options to satiate hungry adventurers. Enjoy a diverse range of cuisines while taking in the park’s vibrant atmosphere.
7. Upcoming Events: Keep an eye on SeaWorld’s calendar for special events, celebrations, and seasonal offerings that add excitement to your visit. These events often feature themed activities, entertainment, and unique experiences.
8. Accessibility and Comfort: SeaWorld is committed to providing accessibility to all visitors. From stroller rentals and designated nursing areas to guest services, the park ensures a comfortable experience for families.
9. Shopping and Souvenirs: Browse gift shops for a variety of marine-themed merchandise, including souvenirs, toys, and keepsakes that will help you remember your memorable visit.
10. Family Bonding: SeaWorld offers an ideal setting for families to create lasting memories, learn together, and foster a deeper appreciation for the incredible marine life that inhabits our planet’s oceans.
Before your visit, check the official SeaWorld San Diego website for the latest information on show schedules, ticket prices, and any COVID-19-related guidelines. Immerse yourself in the enchanting world of marine wonders at SeaWorld San Diego, where adventure and discovery await at every turn.
6. Children’s Pool Beach in La Jolla: A Unique Coastal Experience
Nestled along the captivating coastline of La Jolla, the Children’s Pool Beach offers a distinctive and enriching experience for visitors of all ages. While its name suggests a family-friendly destination, some important features set this beach apart:
1. Harbor Seal Haven: Children’s Pool Beach is renowned for its resident harbor seal colony. These adorable marine mammals often rest and sunbathe on the sandy shores, creating a rare opportunity for visitors to observe them in their natural habitat.
2. Educational Experience: For families with curious children, this beach provides a unique chance to engage in marine education. Kids can learn about harbor seals, their behavior, and the importance of respecting wildlife and their habitat.
3. Viewing Area: A designated viewing area allows visitors to observe the seals from a safe distance, ensuring the animals’ well-being and the enjoyment of onlookers. Binoculars and cameras can enhance the experience.
4. Tide Pools and Exploration: The beach unveils fascinating tide pools teeming with marine life during low tide. Exploring these pools can be a captivating and educational adventure for kids, offering insights into the diverse underwater ecosystem.
5. Natural Beauty: Beyond the seals, Children’s Pool Beach boasts stunning coastal beauty. The rugged cliffs, azure waters, and picturesque surroundings make it an ideal location for family photos and serene walks.
6. Park and Picnic Area: Adjacent to the beach, Ellen Browning Scripps Park provides a grassy expanse perfect for picnics and relaxation. Families can enjoy a meal while relishing the ocean breeze and panoramic views.
7. Local Regulations: It’s important to note that during the harbor seal pupping season (December 15 to May 15), the beach is closed to the public to protect the seals and their young pups. However, the viewing area is still accessible.
8. Conservation and Awareness: A visit to Children’s Pool Beach offers an opportunity to instill conservation and environmental responsibility values in children. It’s a chance to discuss preserving natural habitats for future generations.
9. Nearby Attractions: Children’s Pool Beach is conveniently located near other attractions in La Jolla, such as the beautiful La Jolla Cove and the bustling Village of La Jolla, offering additional opportunities for exploration and enjoyment.
Remember to respect the seal colony, follow any posted guidelines, and encourage your children to observe these remarkable creatures from afar. Children’s Pool Beach provides a captivating blend of wildlife, education, and natural beauty, making it a memorable destination for families seeking a unique coastal experience.
7. Waterfront Park: Where Play and Relaxation Meet the Bay
Nestled in the heart of downtown San Diego, Waterfront Park offers a delightful blend of recreational opportunities and scenic beauty along the tranquil waters of San Diego Bay. Here’s a glimpse of what this urban oasis has in store for families:
1. Expansive Playgrounds: Waterfront Park boasts thoughtfully designed playgrounds that cater to children of all ages. From climbing structures to swings and slides, kids can frolic and engage in active play while parents watch over from shaded seating areas.
2. Interactive Fountains: The park features interactive fountains that provide a refreshing reprieve, especially on warm days. Children can splash and play in the shallow waters, creating an ideal setting for some carefree fun.
3. Green Spaces and Picnic Areas: Lush lawns and inviting picnic areas offer families the perfect backdrop for outdoor leisure. Pack a picnic, spread out a blanket, and savour a meal while enjoying stunning bay views.
4. Stunning Views: Waterfront Park provides panoramic vistas of San Diego Bay and the Coronado Bridge. It’s an idyllic setting for capturing memorable family photos against the backdrop of sparkling water.
5. Events and Festivals: Throughout the year, Waterfront Park hosts a variety of family-friendly events and festivals, from concerts and outdoor movies to cultural celebrations. These events add an extra layer of entertainment to your visit.
6. Recreational Opportunities: Families can engage in various outdoor activities, from flying kites and tossing frisbees to playing catch or simply enjoying a leisurely stroll along the waterfront pathways.
7. Interactive Art Installations: The park often features intriguing art installations encouraging interaction and exploration. These installations can spark creativity and engage young minds.
8. Accessibility and Amenities: Waterfront Park is designed with accessibility in mind, offering ramps, pathways, and amenities that cater to strollers, wheelchairs, and families with young children.
9. Nearby Attractions: Waterfront Park’s central location is conveniently close to other downtown San Diego attractions, such as the USS Midway Museum and the vibrant Gaslamp Quarter.
10. Relaxation and Connection: Beyond its recreational offerings, Waterfront Park provides families with an opportunity to relax, unwind, and connect in a serene and inviting environment.
Whether you’re seeking active play, relaxation, or a combination of both, Waterfront Park provides a charming waterfront retreat where families can enjoy quality time together while soaking in the beauty of San Diego’s bayfront.
Moored proudly along the scenic waterfront of San Diego, the USS Midway Museum offers a captivating glimpse into naval history, showcasing the legacy of the USS Midway aircraft carrier. This iconic attraction provides an immersive experience that’s both educational and awe-inspiring for visitors of all ages:
1. Living History: Step aboard the USS Midway, a floating city at sea, and walk in the footsteps of sailors who served on this legendary aircraft carrier. The museum brings history to life through meticulously preserved aircraft, artifacts, and interactive exhibits.
2. Aircraft Exploration: Explore the flight deck and hangar bays, where an impressive collection of aircraft representing various eras of aviation is on display. Kids and adults alike will marvel at the sheer scale of these historic planes.
3. Interactive Exhibits: Engage in hands-on exhibits that provide insights into life on board, aircraft operations, and the technology behind naval aviation. The museum offers a dynamic and educational experience, from flight simulators to multimedia presentations.
4. Guided Tours: Knowledgeable docents lead guided tours that offer in-depth narratives and personal anecdotes, enriching your understanding of the ship’s history and significance.
5. Junior Pilot Program: Tailored for young visitors, it offers an engaging scavenger hunt that encourages children to explore the ship, discover key points of interest, and learn about its operations.
6. Flight Simulators: Experience the thrill of piloting aircraft through realistic flight simulators, offering a taste of the challenges naval aviators face.
7. Below-Deck Exploration: Descend into the ship’s interior to explore crew quarters, mess halls, the engine room, and other compartments, gaining a deeper appreciation for the complexities of life at sea.
8. Historic Tales: Hear captivating stories of the USS Midway’s service during pivotal historical moments, including the Vietnam War and Operation Desert Storm.
9. Family-Friendly Atmosphere: The USS Midway Museum is designed to accommodate families, with wide walkways, stroller-friendly spaces, and interactive exhibits that appeal to visitors of all ages.
10. Unforgettable Views: Ascend to the flight deck for breathtaking panoramic views of San Diego’s skyline, the harbor, and the Coronado Bridge—an ideal spot for family photos and moments of reflection.
11. Souvenirs and Dining: Explore the onboard gift shop for unique memorabilia, and savour a meal at the Fantail Café, offering various dining options.
A visit to the USS Midway Museum offers an opportunity to delve into the world of naval aviation, honor the dedication of servicemen and women, and gain a deeper understanding of history. It’s a voyage back in time that families can embark upon together, creating lasting memories and fostering an appreciation for the sacrifices made by those who served.
9. Cabrillo National Monument: Exploring the Point of Discovery
Perched atop the scenic Point Loma Peninsula in San Diego, the Cabrillo National Monument offers a captivating journey through history, nature, and stunning panoramic views. Named after Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, the first European to set foot on the West Coast, this monument is a treasure trove of experiences for families:
1. Historical Significance: Explore the Old Point Loma Lighthouse, a historic beacon that guided ships into San Diego Bay during the 19th century. Learn about the area’s maritime history and the challenges lighthouse keepers face.
2. Tidepool Exploration: Wander down to the tide pools along the rocky shoreline, where families can discover diverse marine life, from colourful sea anemones to scuttling hermit crabs. Guided ranger programs provide insightful information about these unique ecosystems.
3. Breathtaking Views: Stand at the monument’s high vantage point and marvel at panoramic vistas that stretch across the Pacific Ocean, downtown San Diego, and the surrounding coastline. It’s a perfect spot for family photos and moments of awe.
4. Whale Watching: During the winter and spring, Cabrillo National Monument offers an excellent vantage point for whale watching. Witness the majestic migration of grey whales as they pass by on their annual journey.
5. Coastal Trails: Embark on scenic hikes along well-maintained trails that wind through coastal sage scrub habitats. These trails offer opportunities for families to enjoy nature, spot local wildlife, and savor the fresh ocean air.
6. Visitor Center: The visitor center provides informative exhibits that delve into the area’s history, natural wonders, and cultural significance. Kids can engage in interactive displays and better understand the region.
7. Family-Friendly Programs: The monument offers a variety of family-focused activities and programs, including ranger-led walks, educational talks, and hands-on experiences that cater to all ages.
8. Picnic Areas: Enjoy a leisurely family picnic surrounded by the beauty of Point Loma. Several designated areas offer a tranquil setting for outdoor meals.
9. Ranger Talks and Tours: Join park rangers for insightful talks and guided tours that offer deeper insights into the monument’s history, geology, and ecology. These engaging experiences are both educational and entertaining for families.
10. Inspirational Reflection: As you stand on the same shores where Cabrillo and his crew once arrived, take a moment to reflect on the exploration, courage, and curiosity that have shaped the course of history.
Cabrillo National Monument invites families on a multifaceted adventure, from maritime heritage and natural exploration to breathtaking vistas and educational experiences. It’s a place where the past and present converge, creating cherished memories and fostering a deeper connection with the wonders of the world around us.
10. Dining Options: A Culinary Exploration in San Diego
San Diego’s diverse culinary scene offers a delectable array of dining options to satisfy every palate. Whether you’re seeking family-friendly eateries or gourmet experiences, the city has something to offer for every taste and budget:
1. Coastal Cuisine: Indulge in fresh seafood at waterfront restaurants, where you can savor dishes like grilled fish tacos, clam chowder, and ceviche. The coastal breeze and ocean views add to the dining experience.
2. Mexican Delights: San Diego’s proximity to the border means you can enjoy authentic Mexican flavors. From street tacos to enchiladas, explore the rich tapestry of Mexican cuisine.
3. Farmers’ Markets: Discover local produce, artisanal goods, and a vibrant food scene at San Diego’s farmers’ markets. Grab a bite from food stalls offering everything from gourmet sandwiches to international delicacies.
4. Family-Friendly Eateries: For a family-friendly dining experience, look for restaurants with kids’ menus, high chairs, and play areas. Many local spots cater to young diners with tasty options and welcoming atmospheres.
5. Food Trucks: Embrace the food truck culture and relish an eclectic mix of cuisines on wheels. Food truck festivals and gatherings showcase diverse flavors, making it an exciting culinary adventure.
6. Craft Breweries and Gastropubs: San Diego is a hub for craft beer enthusiasts. Many breweries offer gastropub-style dining, pairing innovative dishes with locally brewed beers.
7. International Flavors: Explore global tastes with various international restaurants. Enjoy sushi, Thai curries, Indian dishes, and more, all within the city’s culinary mosaic.
8. Farm-to-Table Dining: Experience the farm-to-table movement at restaurants emphasising locally sourced, seasonal ingredients. Delight in dishes that showcase the bounty of the region.
9. Fine Dining: Indulge in upscale dining experiences with creative menus, elegant ambience, and impeccable service. Treat yourself to gourmet cuisine crafted by talented chefs.
10. Sweet Treats: Satisfy your sweet tooth with various desserts and treats. There’s no shortage of options, from artisanal ice cream shops to bakeries offering delectable pastries.
11. Waterfront Dining: Enjoy stunning ocean or bay views while dining at waterfront restaurants. The combination of delicious cuisine and scenic beauty makes for a memorable meal.
12. Vegan and Vegetarian: San Diego offers a range of vegan and vegetarian restaurants catering to different dietary preferences for those seeking plant-based options.
From casual beachside bites to elegant culinary experiences, San Diego’s dining scene invites you to embark on a gastronomic journey that reflects the city’s diverse culture and flavors. Whether you’re dining with family, or friends, or exploring solo, you’ll find a wealth of options to satiate your cravings and create unforgettable dining memories.
Can you bring food into Seaworld San Diego
Yes, you can bring your own food into SeaWorld San Diego. The park has a policy that permits guests to bring in outside food and beverages, including snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, for their own consumption. However, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
- No Glass Containers: Glass containers and alcoholic beverages are prohibited for safety reasons.
- Coolers: Small, soft-sided coolers (no larger than 13” x 13” x 14”) are permitted. Hard-sided coolers and large coolers are not allowed.
- No Straws: SeaWorld has a policy to protect marine life, so please do not bring plastic straws.
- Allergies: If you have dietary restrictions or allergies, bringing your own food can be particularly helpful to ensure you have suitable options.
- Designated Areas: There are designated picnic areas within the park where you can enjoy your own food.
It’s important to note that SeaWorld also offers a variety of dining options within the park, including restaurants, snack stands, and food kiosks. So, if you choose not to bring your own food, you’ll still have plenty of choices for meals and snacks during your visit.
Before your trip, it’s a good idea to visit SeaWorld San Diego’s official website or contact their guest services to verify the current policy regarding outside food and any potential updates.